Essential oils are nothing new. They have been used throughout history in many cultures for their health-supporting benefits. The Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, Europeans, and Chinese have used them for centuries for health, beauty, fragrance, and spiritual practices. There are also many references to essential oils in historical texts, which signifies their importance in history. They are even mentioned in the Bible many times. As I continue to learn about essential oils, a passion of mine has become discovering how and why essential oils were used in Scripture.
Did you know…
- The earth produced plants on the 3rd day of creation by God’s command, and He said it was good?
- Genesis 1:12-13 “the earth brought forth vegetation, plants yielding seed according to their own kinds, and trees bearing fruit i which is their seed, each according to its kind. And God saw that it was good…”
- Anointing Oil in scripture refers to aromatic oils (essential oils) not just vegetable oils (olive oil)?
- Exodus 25:6 “…spices for the anointing oil and fragrant incense”
- God plans to heal the nations with leaves from a tree?
- Revelation 22:2 “…also on either side of the river, the tree of life with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.”
- God gives a recipe for anointing oil?
- Exodus 30:22-25 “And the Lord said to Moses, “Take the finest spices, of liquid myrrh 500 shekels, and of sweet-smelling cinnamon, half as much, that is 250, and 250 of aromatic cane, and 500 of cassia, according to the shekel of the sanctuary, and a hin of olive oil. And you shall make of these a sacred anointing oil blended as by the perfumer, it shall be a holy anointing oil.”
The act of anointing someone or something with oil is used throughout scripture. Anointing can be used to consecrate, or set apart for service to the Lord, but it is also used in praying for the healing of the sick. Look at these scriptures!
- 1 Samuel 10:1 Samuel anoints Saul – Then Samuel took a flask of oil and poured it on his head and kissed him and said, “Has not the Lord anointed you to be prince over his people Israel?”
- Psalm 23:5 The Lord is my shepherd – You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
- Leviticus 8:10-12 Moses anoints the tabernacle – The Moses took the anointing oil and anointed the tabernacle and all that was in it and consecrated them. And he sprinkled some of it on the altar seven times, and anointed the altar and all of its utensils and the basin and its stand, to consecrate them. And he poured some of the anointing oil on Aaron’s head and anointed him to consecrate him.
- James 5:14 Pray for the sick – Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.
I feel so honored that my passion for essential oils has led me to discover a new side of God and how He works in things. There are 12 essential oils mentioned by name in Scripture. Over the next 6 weeks I will be writing posts about these amazing and timeless oils! Why don’t you join me on this journey and discover what God has for us?!
Oh and a great thing about Young Living – all of these oils come in one kit. So you can get all 12 of these oils at once!